Thursday 29 August 2013

Part 48


Both of them woke up after a very disturbed sleep. Khushi’s fears about the hatred of Arnav’s family made her restless.  “What if they don’t accept me?” Khushi winced with the thought.

"What will happen if they don't accept me? I don't want Arnavji to lose his family for me. I will go away from him if that is the solution. .." She woke up in the morning only to find that she was crying in her sleep. She prayed "Devi mayya, please help me. Give me strength to sustain the rejection. Please, Devi Mayya, help  Arnavji!" She got out of the bed and came out in the hall. Mummiji was already at the table. She was having her morning medicine dose.

"Sorry mummiji... I got up late.." Khushi apologized. Mummiji looked at her face and called her near. "Putter, you did not sleep well last night, right? I know you are all worried, your papaji told me everything. Khushi, don't lose your heart. I am sure you will come out of it and will be happy forever. We are all with you, puttar... don't worry!" She put her hand on Khushi's head. Khushi rested her head on mummiji's shoulder for a while and then got up with a smile. "Why should I worry? When devimayya, and you all are with me?"
But again her face shadowed with sadness and pain. " But Arnav ji is alone there. He does not believe in god. He is carrying the entire burden on his shoulder. I can release my tension putting it on my Devi Mayya, and you all... but he .... I am worried about him" She said in a small voice.
"He has YOU, Khushi!" mummiji said. "He will be alright. Stand by him, puttar, I am sure everything is going to be alright..... And now, there was a call from papaji for you. Go and call him" She pushed Khushi a little.

Khushi dialed papaji's number. "Good morning Khushi puttar, I know it's a Sunday but you have to work half a day. There is an emergency. Shondeep had called me early morning. His father suffered an heart attack, last night. His condition is critical. He is in B.M.Birla Heart Research Center. I want you to go to the hospital on my behalf.
"What? Ok papaji, I will just get ready and go there. " She kept the phone and headed towards her room telling mummiji about the call loudly. She got ready in half an hour. She wanted to skip the breakfast but mummiji and Elsa forced her to have atleast one paratha. Kids were disappointed to see khushi buwa going out on Sunday. She promised them to come back as early as possible and went off.

*** ***
Arnav too had a disturbed sleep. Khushi kept on coming and going from his dreams. He woke up frequently when he saw khushi going away from him in his dreams. "I know, I won't be able to give all the passion and love she deserves. We are standing on the opposite banks of river. I am sure she will turn her back on me when she knows who I am and who my parents were. I will not be able to sustain her rejection. I will not let that happen. I will go away from her..." He thought. He swallowed hard with wet eyes at the thought of going away from her.

He got out of the bed and came down in the hall. Aakash was reading the newspaper. Sham came from the other end and greeted the brothers. Both Arnav and Sham bent to pick up the same Economic Times. Arnav looked at Sham causing him to leave the paper. Sham took another paper and sat in between the two brothers. Aakash looked at Arnav with apprehension.

Arnav sat there for a while, took the paper and went to the table to have his black coffee. Aakash too got up and came to Arnav leaving Sham alone in the hall.
"Bhai... !" He started off. "Shh! Aakash, it's a Sunday... so no business talks!" Arnav said aloud. Ram prakash served coffee and tea to them. Arnav had decided to stay home and asked Aakash about his plans. He said he was going out with Payal for lunch. Arnav's heart ached with the momory of Khushi.

Anjali and mamiji came in for breakfast. "Hello hi bye bye... Arnav bitawa, how come you are at home? We thought we have to take an appointment with your secretary to meet you even at home... " She said laughing. Arnav kept staring at her.

"Arnav Bitawa, have you ever thought about your life? Aakash is getting married, though I hate the way he is getting married and that girl... and I think you should now think about it too. You know I have some proposals for you, all are very rich and famous. Aakash..." She went on. Now there were no hopes with Aakash to get a bimbo... in the family she had turned to Arnav....
"Enough mami.... Please do not spoil my day! I have decided to stay home and if you want to go on.. then better I go to the office." Arnav said getting up from the chair.
"Chote...!" Anjali came forward and forced him to sit. "Please after a very long time we are all together..." She said. "I plan to go to the mandir... please come with us, chote...!" She pleaded.
"Raani Saaheba, he is a very busy person. He may not like it. I will take you all to the mandir." Sham had come to the table and was helping himself with the breakfast and tea.
"Of course Di! Your wish ... I will come with you!" Said Arnav looking at Sham defiantly.
"Ok then, get ready. I will ask nani whether she is joining us..!" said Anjali happily and went to nani's room.
Arnav gaped at Anjali’s devotion….
One incident of the parent's death, two inseparable siblings moved in opposite direction with a single knot of love tying them together. Anjali became a religious, god fearing person who spent most of her time in worship and religious affairs; Whereas Arnav became a total atheist rejecting the existence of god. That incidence had turned their worlds upside down. He kept staring at the idol of the goddess.

"Saale saab, have prashad.... " Sham offered him prashad. He reluctantly accepted it. They came back for lunch. Aakash had gone with Payal. He had no one. He did not know how to pass his time. They were at the table. He noticed a new maid serving at the table. He looked at his Di with surprise and little annoyance. Who is this maid?

"Chote... she is a new maid, he has appointed to help me.." Anjali said looking at Sham praising him for his love towards her.
"What? Why? I mean.. I could have asked any housekeeping agency to get a maid for you." Said Arnav apparently annoyed at this.
"Oh! No chote..." She said turning her eyes as the maid left for the kitchen. "She is a needy girl. Lost her husband at a very young age and is waiting for her family pension. But you know it takes a long time to get the pension now a days... so He gave her this work to help her financially." Arnav looked puzzled. What is going on? What is he up to? He looked straight at Sham.

"Saale Saab... ! Don't worry about these domestic matters....!" Said sham smiling at him. Arnav lost his appetite. He just chewed something and went to his room. There was a knock on the door after sometime. He looked up from his laptop and got up with a jerk with annoyance. "What the hell! How dare you come to my room!" He shouted at the top of his voice. The tray in the maid's hand fell on the floor with a thud.
"Di..." Arnav shouted again. Anjali came in..."Di... I don't want any stranger to enter my room. She is been appointed for you so let her do your work. No need to come to my room.." He was visibly upset at his Di.
"Sorry chote..."Said Anjali waving at the maid to go. "Ram Prakash has gone out so I sent her ..." Anjali said apologetically.
"Di... please do not repeat it again" He said and turned his back on her.
******
Khushi went to the Hospital. On her way she had picked up some fruits, biscuits and flowers. She went to the ICU section and saw Shondeep sitting outside, with his face buried in his hands.

She went nearer and called "Sir....!" He looked up at her. His eyes red, hair untidy, and cloths all crumpled, he looked devastated. She felt sorry for him. His mother looked equally shattered. He put his arm around his mother's shoulder and introduced her to Khushi. "She is my mother. And mother! She is Sir's assistant and his foster daughter Ms. Gupta." His mother forced a faint smile on her face. Khushi came forward and took his mother's hand her hands.

"Don't worry, auntiji... everything will be ok. Devi mayya is with you all. He will recover soon. Have courage." Khushi said genuinely. She remembered her babuji. She looked at Shondeep and asked "What did doctors say? Is there anything we have to do?"

Shondeep looked little relaxed. Khushi's pleasant appearance had made him little optimistic. "He has to be under observation for next 24 hours. And then they will decide about other things. Angiographies or bypass will be decided later." He said looking at her for support. She kept the flowers on the bench and gave the fruits and biscuits bag to shondeep.
"Did you have your breakfast?" She asked him. He shook his head and looked at his mother.

"Auntiji, come with me. Let us have something. You stay here and I will get something for you" She said. And not listening to her NO s Khushi took her to the coffee shop downstairs. Shondeep kept looking at her. She had taken the charge of the situation and he had submitted himself.

Khushi came back talking to his mother animatedly, trying some Bengali words. His mother looked little energetic and was listening to Khushi smiling. Khushi had brought coffee and sandwiches for Shondeep. He refused first, but then Khushi forced him to eat and have coffee.
"Sir, if you have any urgent work, I will stay here with auntiji.... I will take care" Said Khushi.
"No. Ms Gupta ... My relatives stay in Asansol and will be arriving in a shortly. My mother's sister...." He said looking at her.
"Its ok. I will be here till they arrive. I will be with her" She said looking at his mother and holding her hand. He actually smiled in his state of distress. The burden on his shoulder was released with her gesture.

Khushi stayed with them till their relatives arrived. Then she talked to Shondeep and told him not to worry and god was always with him. He forced a smile on his face. He felt depressed when she was leaving. He thanked her for all her support. She promised his mother that she would come again and left. Shondeep had all the admirations for her. He just kept looking in her direction.
Khushi came home. The kids were waiting for her. She told Mummiji about Shondeep's father and went out to play with the kids in the garden.

Papaji came home late in the night. Khushi had curled up on a sofa and was watching TV.

"Khushi, why are you up this late?" Asked papaji.
"Nothing papaji, I just could not sleep" She sat upright on the sofa. She told him everything that happened in these two days, even the story of Arnav forgetting his cell at home and Sham picking it up. Papaji listened to her patiently and said "Ok. Puttar, now go and sleep! Your routine will start from tomorrow with additional duty of the project.
"Ok. Papaji, goodnight" She went to her room. She picked up her phone to call Arnav.
*** ***
Arnav was upset to see the new maid in his house. He was upset with everyone in the House. Afternoon was the worst. He had to bear with his jijaji and mamiji's nonsense talk. He repented for staying at home. In the evening at tea time, they were all gathered at the table. Mamaji said he needed to meet the chartered accountant for his tax returns.
Arnav Asked "Di, did you fill your tax returns? And you?" He looked at sham.

"No chote... I have to do it. We have to get it done for nani also. I will ask our CA to complete it." Sham had ignored his question.

"Ok. Di, give me your file with the bills and bank statements. I will arrange to complete your account statements." We need to file our papers as early as possible. The due date is approaching for the professionals to file the tax returns. Aakash and I have done it already." He said looking at Sham. Sham avoided his gaze. Arnav grinned.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for all your comments. Please read Dhatri too!

Love
KF

Anonymous said...

Poor Shondeep, looks like he was bitten by the Khushi bug......Waiting to see what the tax man has in store for Slime......kkg fan

Great update...

sunitasharmadubey said...

Thank you for nice update....so now Shondeep also getKHUSHI FEVER... :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Khushifan. Nice update. Waiting for Weekend treat...